Generative AI, and Generative AI marketplaces, have the potential to turbo-charge streaming sports experiences, from the creation of highlights reels to audio interviews, according to Quickplay, which has partnered with Google Cloud to harness the new technology.
Quickplay serves the Pay TV, telco and streaming market to enable cloud-native video and UX experiences. The Google Cloud partnership, announced last month, gives video providers access to AI marketplaces such as Google Vertex AI, and at IBC 2023 Quickplay showed a proof-of-concept to illustrate the impact that voice commands and Large Language Models (LLMs), when combined with its CMS, can make on the viewing experience.
Paul Pastor, Chief Business Officer and Co-Founder at Quickplay, has now outlined some specific use-cases for Generative AI in sports streaming services, claiming the technology will make them better, faster and less expensive. They are:
- Creation of highlight reels that condense the best moments from the latest game – serving the need of a growing number of consumers who have limited screen time.
- Enabling immediate access to web-based highlights from the greatest video moments in sport, utilising archive material.
- Enriching search and recommendation by leveraging LLMs to find content that eludes the discovery capabilities of traditional metadata models.
- Creating feature-length content by compiling sports action clips, video and audio interviews, and even still images, into a single show that addresses a given topic.
Quickplay has already demonstrated how Generative AI can be used to create interactive quizzes, automated thumbnails, preview clips, and comprehensive movie details. The technology supports provision of relevant statistics and other expanded information for video services. When announcing the Google Cloud partnership, the company listed other Generative AI-driven video service benefits, including:
- Augmented ad campaigns
- Optimal ad insertion points
- Multiple length synopses
- Subtitle translations
- Conversational content discovery
- Deep metadata (as the basis for discovery and recommendations).
Pastor is convinced that Generative AI is going to make the sports television experience better – going so far as to say it will “transform sports TV”.
Photo: Paul Pastor, Chief Business Officer and Co-Founder, Quickplay