India vs. Pakistan World Cup clash attracts 288MN Indian TV viewers | News | Rapid TV News
By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies on your device as described in our privacy policy unless you have disabled them. You can change your cookie settings at any time but parts of our site will not function correctly without them. [Close]

Some 288 million viewers in India tuned in to watch their national heroes take on arch rivals Pakistan in the ICC Cricket World Cup on 15 February, making it the country's most watched TV event for four years – since the finals of the last Cricket World Cup.

The highly anticipated match, shown by official broadcaster Star TV and by public free-to-air (FTA) broadcaster Doordarshan, registered 14.8 TVR, according to data provided by TV audience measurement company TAM (M15+ ABC).

"Nothing is bigger than the ICC Cricket World Cup and the Indian fans have shown their unflinching faith and passionate following for Team India as they began their World Cup campaign with a bang," said Uday Shankar, CEO, Star India.

"As the country's leading broadcaster, our efforts have been to showcase the best of cricket, have wider coverage, offer multiple languages and take the sport deeper by reinventing the viewer experience. With a host of innovations, we are committed to make this edition of the ICC Cricket World Cup the biggest ever," he added.

Star broadcast the game in six languages, with 76% tuning into the Hindi and regional language feeds, with the remaining 24% opting for the English commentary.

Indian cinema's Amitabh Bachchan debuted as a commentator with the Star Sports panel of Kapil Dev, Shoaib Akhtar, Rahul Dravid and Sanjay Manjrekar for the India vs. Pakistan game.

In addition, the subscription-based network ran a disruptive 'Mauka' ad campaign with the company says "leveraged fan passion in a unique way" and went viral with over 17 million views online. The second instalment of the campaign was viewed half a million times within hours of its release, claims Star India.

The match also drew record digital views in India, with 25 million views registered on two of Star's video streaming platforms.

In addition to Star's extensive coverage, Doordarshan (DD) is airing Team India's World Cup 2015 cricket matches free of charge after the Supreme Court recently dismissed the plea of Star Sports and said DD could share the feed with cable operators.

Doordarshan will also show the ICC Cricket World Cup semi-finals and final.