1. A-la-Carte Offerings Begin to Take Shape Simply put, it won¹t work. Individual network content, along with monthly broadband subscription, will end up being more expensive than cable subscriptions.
2. Net Neutrality - The Debate on the Future of the Internet Net Neutrality will be ruled against and operators will be given approval to offer tiered plans and packages. Also expect OTT subscriptions to rise, as operators will charge them a service fee.
3. Aereo Starts High, Ends Low Aereo may have been the first to attack the traditional pay TV business model, but it sure won¹t be the last. Expect more companies to build on the backbone of this empire. The next Aereo might be a pirate operator.
4. Netflix Partners with Dish Netflix will continue to partner with more cable companies and become integrated in set-top boxes and dongles. Expect other OTT companies such as Hulu and Amazon to reach deals as well.
5. Implications of the Sony Hack Unreleased shows and movies wereleaked and put up on torrent sites. 2015 will see companies putting tighter security on content platforms.
About the Author
Richard Frankland, VP of Sales, Irdeto